I made a
Guillotine today to complete my "IITH" project. I used a truck spring for dies. A piece of 1/2" thick plate that 4" wide and 6" long and some angle iron. I have a 1 1/8" round stock for to square for the hardy hole although I didn't do that yet.
I set up the angle iron and tack weld it making sure it was square.
Then a sistered a second piece of angle iron and tack welded it. I used a piece of 1/2" steel to set the channel for the dies. It's the same thickness of the truck spring.
I cut the springs a little less than the groove and then smoothed all the surfaces with a flap disc grinder. I needed to clean the slot for the dies with a file. The fit was snug.
I rounded the sharp edges. I used a pritchel hold down to rty it out. It moves to much so I need to remedy that. At first I thought to make a hardy pin. Not sure though.
It'll take some practice to make things look good. I'm happy with it. More dies on the way. It took about three hours in the drive way to make it.