With the Size of the WGHSEA Blacksmith group growing and due to recent growing pains a call for nominations for a "leadership board" is long over due. Ideally the nominees should be current members in good standing who are willing to take on a more mentor/guiding/leadership role in the group and also meet either via phone, text or in person on a monthly basis to conduct board business. This initial board will be but not explicitly:
- Deciding on formal leadership positions(ex: President, Forge master, Treasure, etc.)
- Formal Rules for the forge.(Responsibilities of members beyond the liability form, Proper usage /rules for the shop equipment. These will ideally be written so that beginners learn how to stay safe as well as help alleviate arguments of "rules only apply when X says they apply."
- Formal Rules for Funding/Resource management of Shop supplies. Where to get items from the association or other sources how they are paid for etc.
- Plans for the shop's future, roles, of member, overall mission, direction we want the group to move forward, etc. note: a general idea already exist however this board will formalize these plans.
- Event planning
- any other " Organizational business" related items not already listed.
Nominations will occur over the next month or so and a board of roughly 5-7 members will be voted upon by the group. The 5-7 member size is ideal to help spread responsibilities and allow for mentoring of newer board members. Please note that you can nominate yourself. Nominations must be made on a public forum in addition to an email to myself or victor so that all members, including the nominee, will see who has been nominated thus far. The emails to victor and/or myself is for record keeping only so that a nominee list can be more easily compiled.The public forum can either be the forum victor created or the face book group page. I will be creating the nomination sections in the next day or two so links will follow this announcement.
A pseudo-final list will be published and emailed to all on the mailing list one week from the closing of nominations to allow for any last minute nominations. Once nominations are closed a "final" list will be published of all current nominees. Should the number of nominees exceed the 5-7 member limit a general vote by all members will be called for to decide who is elected to the board. Should the number of nominees be equal to or less than the limit no vote will be needed and the members will be elected unopposed.
I know that I'm relatively new to the group however in the past 6 months I've seen the group grow and have had the privilege of learning with and from some awesome people. After speaking with Dave, Victor and other members I've taken it upon myself to facilitate the nomination of the leadership board. My hope is that by electing a leadership board we can continue to grow the group and also alleviate the stresses incurred by some the founding members. I will be posting the above on the face book group page as well as "the practical blacksmithing forum." If you know of someone who has not received this email please feel free to forward it to them and have them send me an email so that they will receive future emails from the organization. I look forward to hearing your replies and thank you for all the time and effort you all have put into this awesome group.
Christopher W. Shirk
ps. Links to the appropriate nomination record/announcement areas will be posted/sent out no later than 19 NOV. 2018. These sections have not yet been created at the time of this message.
Current Nominees: Rob GarmanMichael Taylor
Christopher ShirkTyler Carnes